A hundred years is a short span of time in history, but the congregation of Central Baptist Church of Thornton are looking back and reflecting on some monumental changes.
In May 1916, 25 people met with Brother J.W. Mayfield, of Mart, to form the Central Baptist Church of Thornton. On the same day, they ordered the pine lumber to begin construction on the first building. For six months they met at the Thornton School with their new pastor, R. W. Bullock. By November of the same year, the facility was completed.
According to Joyce Campbell Jackson, one of the longtime members of the church, the facility had a balcony but no electricity, no restrooms, no water, nor fans for many years, “but we had the Bible,” she added.
As time passed, a new facility replaced the old. In 1962, the church erected a brick facility.
Then, in 2006, through the labor of the Fellowship of Christian Builders, a new sanctuary was constructed.