Mexia stores pull recalled Sargento cheese
Mexia News Staff Report
Seven types of recalled Sargento cheese have been pulled from the shelves of both of Mexia’s major grocery outlets, H-E-B and Walmart.
H-E-B General Manager Craig Mytton said the Mexia store did not have any of the lot numbers included in the recall.
Walmart Dairy Department Manager Linda Heard said the store only had a small amount of products from a single lot number of the recalled cheeses, and she pulled them Monday morning when she received the recall notice.
The recall was issued when Sargento was notified on Sunday, Feb. 12, by by one of its suppliers, Deutsch Kase Haus, LLC, of Middlebury, Ind., that a specialty Longhorn Colby cheese it had supplied to Sargento had potentially been contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
No illnesses from this possible contamination have been reported, Sargento said, in a statement on its website, Sargento.com.
Only certain lot numbers of two types of cheese were initially affected:
• Sargento Ultra Thin Sliced Longhorn Colby, 6.84 oz., UPC 4610000228, with “Sell By” dates of “12APR17B” and “10MAY17B.”
• Sargento Chef Blends Shredded Nacho & Taco Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040041, with “Sell By” dates of “H14JUN17” and “H12JUL17.”
Out of an abundance of caution, however, Sargento recalled five other cheese products because they were packaged on the same line:
• Sargento Sliced Colby-Jack Cheese, 12 oz., UPC 4610000109 with “Sell By” date of “11JUN17B”
• Sargento Sliced Pepper Jack Cheese, 12 oz., UPC 4610000108 with “Sell By” dates of “12JUN17B”, “09JUL17B” and “10JUL17B”
• Sargento Chef Blends Shredded Taco Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040002 with “Sell By” dates of “H14JUN17” and “F28JUN17”
• Sargento Off The Block Shredded Fine Cut Colby-Jack Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040014 with “Sell By” date of “F05JUL17”
• Sargento Off The Block Shredded Fine Cut Cheddar Jack Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040076 with “Sell By” date of “F05JUL17”
All the recalled cheese was packaged at Sargento’s facility in Plymouth, Wis. No other Sargento-brand products were affected.
“The safety of our consumers and our employees is our top priority at Sargento and at the very heart of all we do,” the company said in its notification about the recall.
“We are committed to providing our valued consumers with the most accurate information,” the statement read, noting that customers who want more information could call them at 800-243-3737, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. CST, to answer questions and activate reimbursements.