Grass Fire in Thornton
Heavy winds and dry conditions contributed to a grass fire in Thornton on Sunday. The Thornton fire department responded to a pasture on fire dangerously close to a house and trailer house at the end of Bowie Street. The fire was detained from damaging the houses because of a quick response by neighbors. The fire sparked up from the previous night in 30 to 35 mile an hour winds which reignited the pile that was being burned. Thornton Fire Chief Paul Miller stated "Even though the burn ban has been lifted, there are still dry conditions all around Limestone County. People need to use common sense especially in a pasture if they do any shredding; the grass is dry and will go up like gasoline." The burn ban was lifted in Thornton on September 3.