• Photo by Melissa Smith/Special to The Groesbeck Journal
    Goat running back Stanzley Gibson works to move past a Malakoff defender, during Groesbeck’s district game with the Tigers.
  • Photo by Melissa Smith/Special to The Groesbeck Journal
    Quarterback Ty Hale sets up in the pocket as he scans the field for an open Groesbeck receiver during last Friday night’s district game with the Malakoff Tigers.
  • Photo by Melissa Smith/Special to The Groesbeck Journal
    Groesbeck’s Dylan Rand gets ready to kick the ball during the Goats game with the Malakoff Tigers last Friday night on the road.

Goats late rally not enough as they fall to the Malakoff Tigers, 49-14

By Sean Turgeon, Special to The Groesbeck Journal (Sports editor Stephen R. Farris contributed to the story)

Goats late rally not enough as they fall to the Malakoff Tigers, 49-14


By Sean Turgeon

Special to The Groesbeck Journal

(Sports editor Stephen R. Farris contributed to the story)


The Groesbeck Goats traveled to Malakoff last weekend to take the state finalist Tigers, who were celebrating homecoming festivities.

Malakoff won the toss to begin Friday night’s game with the Groesbeck Goats, and elected to defer and receive the ball in the second half. 

A great opening drive by the Goats with runs by Ameer Lee, Brandyn Canady, and Tyrique Carter drove the Goats down to the Tiger's 19-yard line, but they couldn't get into the end zone. 

The Tigers aired it out for the first touchdown of the game with a 60-yard reception from quarterback Judd Miller to receiver Ethan Snow, plus the two-point conversion to make it 8-0. 

The Goat offense pushed down close to midfield but an incomplete pass forced them to punt back to Malakoff. On second down, the Tigers missed a wide-open receiver destined for six. 

The Goats stopped the Tiger drive on fourth-down to get the ball back with 2:36 left in the first quarter. That entire amount of time was full of penalties and miscalculations by the officiating crew. Some nice special teams play by Grant Johnson, who punted the ball well throughout the game, pinned Malakoff deep in their own territory at the beginning of the second quarter. 

The Tiger offense worked fast and on second down scored quick as ShaZarrion Bailey ran it in from three yards out, making it 15-0. A Groesbeck fumble on their own 25-yard line helped the Tigers to score again, this time Judd Miller made the touchdown on a 26-yard run. The Goats went to work with nine minutes left until the half with a Stanzley Gibson run which resulted in a facemask call against Malakoff. On third-down, Ty Hale was sacked, and the Goats had to punt the ball away. 

Malakoff was forced to punt on their next possession due to a stop by Carter. 

The Goat O-Line fought to the Tiger 29, where the penalty flags started flying. 

Two plays later, Canady scored but it was called back for an ineligible receiver downfield firing up the Groesbeck crowd who had to direct the officials where to spot the ball. The Goats were forced to punt. Groesbeck's defense held the Tigers to a field goal try and miss to end the first half 21-0. 

In the second half, Malakoff gets the kick off and passes down to the Goat 14 to set up their fourth score of the night as Miller hit Andreas Garrett, giving them a 28-0 lead. 

A good block by Groesbeck’s Ryan Hardin helped the offensive drive to their own 27. On second down, Groesbeck fumbled and a Tiger picked it up and ran it in for the touchdown. 

Groesbeck went three and out on their next possession with multiple incomplete passes. Malakoff fumbled on their next possession but came up with the football.

The next play produced a touchdown run by Malakoff’s R.J. Carr to make it a 42-0 ball game. The Groesbeck offense engineered a drive with Hale hooking up with Brandyn Canady for the Goats' first points, cutting the Malakoff lead down to 42-7. 

An interception by Lee sparked the Groesbeck fans back to life and shifted the momentum as Hale did a great job of stepping up in the pocket and firing to Canady for a reception at the Tiger's 26. A great catch by Dylan Rand and a facemask penalty set the Goats up at the five-yard line. Rand caught the next pass for Groesbeck's second touchdown 42-14. Malakoff was not through yet and neither was their fullback, Carr, who ran in from seven yards away to put the Tigers up by 35. 

The Goats hurry up offense with the help of Johnson, Trey Hicks, and Rand, combined with a run to the five-yard line by Hale still wasn't enough as a couple of incompletions turned the ball over on downs as the clock ran out with Malakoff coming out on top.

Hale finished the night with 18 completions on 37 attempts for 268 yards and two touchdowns. Canady caught nine of Hale’s passes for 155 yards and a TD, while Rand grabbed six catches for 61 yards and a touchdown. Lee led the Goats ground game with five carries for 26 yards, while Carter was held to 12 yards on seven touches. Johnson had one catch for a 14-yard gain.

Bradley led the defense with 11 total tackles, followed by D.J. Roberts with 10, Myles McGruder finished with eight and Landen Frazier, Lee, and Ethan Davis recorded six each.

Groesbeck moves to 3-2 on the season and 1-1 in District 9-3A DI and will host the Palestine Westwood Panthers this Friday night at 7:30 p.m.

To read more like this story, pick up a copy of Thursday's edition of The Groesbeck Journal! You can also subscribe online or call 254-729-5103.

Groesbeck Journal

P.O. Box 440
Groesbeck, TX 76642
Phone: 254-729-5103
Fax: 254-729-0362