Fire Prevention week this year is October 8-14, 2017. We, as emergency responders, want to increase awareness of your opportunity to be fire safe. This year’s Fire Prevention Week theme is “Every second counts: Plan 2 ways out”.
In a fire, seconds count. Seconds can mean the difference between escaping safely and experiencing tragedy. Having a plan and practicing your plan can reduce the amount of time it takes your family to escape safely in the event of a fire. The National Fire Protection Association provides these tips:
- Draw a map of your home with all the members of your household, marking two exits from each room and a path to the outside from each exit.
- Practice your home fire drill twice a year. Conduct one at night and one during the day with everyone in your home, and practice using different ways out.
- Teach children how to escape on their own in case you can’t help them.
- Establish a meeting place outside where everyone in the home is to meet.
- Make sure the number of your home is clearly marked and easy for the fire department to find.
To read more of this story, pick up a copy of Thursday's edition of The Groesbeck Journal! You can also subscribe online or call 254-729-5103.