• Contributed Photo
    Pictured l-r, John, Asher, Aiden and Ally look to photographer mom with the Colosseum as their backdrop, one of the world’s biggest tourist attractions.
  • Contributed Photo
    Less than 2 weeks after her diagnosis of acute lymphoblastic leukemia, Ally and her parents John and Robyn show a fighting spirit they will carry on even past the final day of regular treatment set for February 17, 2018.
  • Contributed Photo
    The day after her diagnosis, Ally was already receiving well-wishes, gifts, and visitors at Cooks Children’s Medical Center, pictured here with her friend Kylie.
  • Contributed Photo
    Ally and her brother Aiden pose with their mom Robyn in front of a beautiful stretch of Italy on their recent family trip, which was made possible by the Make-A-Wish® Foundation.
  • Contributed Photo
    After Ally was released from Cooks Children’s Medical Center, her immune system was too fragile to go back to school right away. Waco ISD loaned Groesbeck a robot that allowed Ally to see and interact with lessons being taught in her classroom from the safety of her home!
  • The Moss family posing together in front of the Trinity River on Christmas Day, 2015, a couple months after Ally’s diagnosis, in the back John with baby Asher, and l-r Robyn, Aiden and Ally.
  • Despite being told she would lose her hair pretty quickly as a result of chemo, Ally rocked her “peacock” colored hair into May, 7 months after her diagnosis. Here she is at Cooks Infusion lab getting chemo while attending class through the robot borrowed from Waco ISD.
  • Ally and Aiden take a moment to pose inside the Pantheon while on their vacation in Rome a couple weeks ago. In addition to the Pantheon, the family visited the Colosseum, the Sistine Chapel, the ruins of Pompeii and Mount Vesuvius, and many more incredible historic Italian sites.

Wishes Come True...

Ally Moss Visits Rome with Make A Wish

Twelve-year old Groesbeck local Ally Moss is seldom seen without a smile on her face or a twinkle in her eye. She plays softball, spends time with her friends and, though you would never guess by looking at her, Ally just passed the two year mark since being diagnosed with cancer. This is the story of her journey, her support system and her hope.



“On October 23, 2015, I found out I was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. I was 10,” Ally remembers. “First I had these pains right by where my spleen is, and left shoulder pain. It happened for a couple days and one day at school it hurt really really bad so I called my mom.”

Ally’s mom, Robyn took her to the emergency room, and they were asked to return the next day. An x-ray revealed that Ally’s spleen was 3 times its size and a softball-sized tumor was on her heart.

“You could tell when you walked into the pediatrician’s office, everybody knew,” Robyn said. “The look on their faces was solemn and I can’t even explain it. She brought us in the office and told us that they thought she had acute lymphoblastic leukemia and that we were going to go to Cook’s. She was at a very critical level.”

If they had waited for an ambulance and gone that route, it would have taken 8 hours, time they didn’t really have to spare. Robyn and her husband John drove Ally to Cook Children’s Medical Center in Dallas, where a doctor confirmed the life-changing diagnosis.

“He walked into the room and his face was really sad. He said ‘Ally, I’m sorry to tell you, but you have cancer’. I asked ‘what is that?’ and he said ‘it's something really bad that can harm you,’ and I was laughing because I didn’t know if it was real. I looked at my parents and they were both really red and crying,” Ally recalled, getting emotional. “I looked at them and asked if it was real and they said yeah. My whole face just dropped and the world stopped. I couldn’t breathe and I didn’t process it until I was rushed into the ICU room.”

Ally has clear memories of that first day and all the difficult procedures she experienced for the first time. She remembers a big glass room like a fishbowl, her “UGLY” nightgown, and being pushed in a wheelchair with lots of people around like a mini-parade. Because of the tumor on her heart, doctors couldn’t give her pain medicine because they weren’t sure how her body would react, so she also remembers the pain of a spinal tap, the insertion of a picc line into her arm, and a catheter that required stitches.

“The doctor said ‘Ally it's all done’ and I thought he meant like done for good, no more pokes, but then I had a few more pokes,” Ally said. “They hooked me up to an IV and they started chemo. There was a big machine that looked freaky, and there was another man who came in and hooked me up….”

“It's called an apheresis machine,” Robyn interjected. “It filtered her blood because she had too many immature cells.”

To read more of this story, pick up a copy of Thursday's edition of The Groesbeck Journal! You can also subscribe online or call 254-729-5103.

Groesbeck Journal

P.O. Box 440
Groesbeck, TX 76642
Phone: 254-729-5103
Fax: 254-729-0362