Goat JV demolishes Teague JV for first win

By Putt Riddle Special to The Groesbeck Journal

The Groesbeck Goat junior varsity football team showed that it could play at a hurry up pace and at a slow pace and totally dominate a game as they did to the Teague Lions junior varsity at its stadium, Thursday, October 27. The end result was a 34-0 win for the Goats.

In the first half, the Goats played at a hurry up pace and scored points rapidly as they took advantage of the mistakes of Teague and the resulting field positions they got as a result. The only area in which Groesbeck didn’t have a dominant game was passing. Quarterback Zac Ellison attempted only two passes the entire game. The first pass was to a wide-open Haston Wyatt who juggled the ball several times as he attempted to reel it in and step into the end zone. His juggling allowed Teague defenders to catch up with him and stop the play. Ellison’s second pass attempt was also close, but also to no avail.

That made the Groesbeck offense of choice the ground game. It was a huge success. Six different Goats combined to rush for 243 yards on 30 carries, an eight yard a tote average. Leading the Goats was Terrell Conn with 17 carries for 128 yards and three touchdowns. Beau Pagel added 60 yards on eight carries with one touchdown. Bradye Duncan scooted 21 yards on three carries and scored once. Haston carried once for 15 yards and Colton Agnew had one carry for 11 yards.

The Goats began their scoring in the first quarter as they took 11 plays to go 60 yards for the score. Conn got in for the first touchdown on a three-yard scamper with 3:05 to go in the period. The Goats fumbled the ball on the two-point conversion try and led 6-0.

Toward the end of the quarter, Teague was forced to punt on a three and out series. The third down play in which Teague quarterback Jeremiah Reddick was thrown for a five-yard loss by Coker Holloway and Janek Jacobsen created the punt situation. The Teague punter managed to get only three yards on his kick. That set the Goats up at the Teague 39-yard line. Conn ran for four yards just before the quarter ended. On the first play of the second quarter, Pagel went the 35-yard distance to score with 9:51 on the clock. The Goat drive took 38 seconds and went 39 yards in two plays. Conn was stopped short on the run for two, but the Goats led 12-0.

To read more of this story, pick up a copy of Thursday's edition of The Groesbeck Journal! You can also subscribe online or call 254-729-5103.

Groesbeck Journal

P.O. Box 440
Groesbeck, TX 76642
Phone: 254-729-5103
Fax: 254-729-0362