Goat JVers hunt Elks to extinction

By Putt Riddle, Special to the Journal

The Elkhart Elks junior varsity football team was fair game for the Groesbeck Goats JV squad last Thursday, Nov. 2, when it traveled to Groesbeck for a 9-3A encounter. The Goats took advantage of the many errors, particularly on the part of the Elk center, and took a 30-14 win.

Coker Holloway, who had an outstanding game on defense, recovered a fumble after the Goats punted on a three and out following the opening kickoff. However, after a long discussion by the officials, the decision was made that it wasn’t a fumble. Elkhart got the ball. On the center’s first snap to quarterback Connor Duncan, it resulted in a 12-yard loss for the Elks. On his next snap, he centered the ball out of the end zone for a safety for the Goats with 6:20 left in the first quarter.

Groesbeck got the ball on the free kick on a fair catch at the Elk 44-yard line. On the sixth play of the drive, Goat quarterback Zac Ellison threw an 18-yard scoring pass to Beau Pagel with 2:50 on the clock. Pagel ran in the two-point conversion to run the score to 10-0.

There would be no more scoring until the third quarter. Duncan had made a 46-yard run toward the end of the first quarter for Elkhart which put the Elks in good field position at the Goat 16. Duncan ran the ball to the eight-yard line. Groesbeck got flagged for off sides and Elkhart was in business at the Goat four-yard line. But the Goats held and recovered a fumble by Kyle King to end the Elk threat. John Reed recovered the fumbled at the Goat 11-yard line. The Goats went on a long drive in the second quarter after the fumble recovery, even aided by a pass interference call against the Elks, but eventually had to punt it away. The Elk center committed another bad snap on first down and Connor took a 15-yard loss.

The Goats forced another punt by Elkhart and took possession at the Elk 33 with 1:45 left in the second period. Terrell Conn ran for 13 yards on first down. Then the Goats had a bad center snap, but kept the ball. Ellison missed on his next two passes though Artero Sotello nearly caught the second throw near the end zone. Ellison got intercepted the third time he went to the well. The half ended 10-0 Goats.

To read more of this story, pick up a copy of Thursday's edition of The Groesbeck Journal! You can also subscribe online or call 254-729-5103.

Groesbeck Journal

P.O. Box 440
Groesbeck, TX 76642
Phone: 254-729-5103
Fax: 254-729-0362