Same song, second verse-Goats beat Hearne by two

By Putt Riddle, Special to The Groesbeck Journal

Groesbeck hosted the Hearne Eagles in a second game this season and came out with the same results, a two-point win. The game was played in the Groesbeck Gym, Tuesday, December 5. The 71-69 win moved Groesbeck’s season record to 3-3 though two of the losses have been by only one point. Goat coach Bill Barstow commented, “The Hearne players were motivated by their coach Andrew Daily getting the news on the way to the game of the sudden death of a family member. He continued on to coach the team when he might have turned the bus around with that news. It was a tough game for us to win. They really challenged us in the fourth quarter.”

Groesbeck had coasted to a 53-35 lead after three quarters when the Eagles came alive led by sophomore guard Damier Dunn. The Eagles outscored the Goats 34-18 in that final frame. Groesbeck’s final two points in the game came from Titus Townes finally hitting on two of his last four free throw attempts, all in the final 29 seconds of the game. He previously had missed on six free throws, a trend in the game shared by the nearly all the Goat players. Collectively, they made only nine of 29 chances for a 31% average. With 11 seconds left to play, Jake Pringle missed two free throws. Hearne rebounded and drove down to try to score. Drac Tindle was fouled by Townes and made two free throws with three seconds left on the clock to make the score 71-69. Ty Hale was fouled on the end bounds play, went to the free throw line where he missed both his free throws. A Hearne player rebounded and threw a Hale Mary trying for a three-point miracle. Fortunately for Groesbeck, his shot went over the back board and the Goats escaped with a very exciting win.

To read more of this story, pick up a copy of Thursday's edition of The Groesbeck Journal! You can also subscribe online or call 254-729-5103.

Groesbeck Journal

P.O. Box 440
Groesbeck, TX 76642
Phone: 254-729-5103
Fax: 254-729-0362